The Great Mosque of Durrës or the New Mosque, built in 1938, is located near the city hall. The chosen topographical position with a facade from the East completes the ensemble of public buildings in the central square of the city. The movement against religion and religious prejudice on February 6, 1967, demolished its dome and minaret and = transformed it into a cultural institution, named “Youth Palace”. After the 90s, the Great Mosque returned to its function as a cult building, preserving the original architecture. The constructions were carried out in two phases, during the years 1992 – 1994 and 2004 – 2006.
Photos credits: Aurel Doda